Are you sure its Windows "Permissions" blocking you (which makes no
sense)? If one program allocates the serial port then other programs are
blocked from using it.  Often, even after closing one program, you must
reboot in order to make the serial port available to another program.  I
simply use multiple serial ports - actually multiple serial-to-usb
adapters, one for each application.

I don't think there is any administrative-level requirements for using a
serial port and every problem I have ever seen in Windows regardless of
version, has been traced back to a particular program allocating the
serial port followed by a second program being blocked by the first
programs resource lock.

Doug -- K0DXV
(Microsoft Technologies Consultant - IBM Corp)