John,

You are correct, GRUB is difficult to remove, In the past, I have given
up and just format the hard drive and then re-load.

However, I recently discovered on the Ubuntu website a loader that loads
Ubuntu in a Windows computer.  It can be removed with Windows Add/Remove
Programs.  It seems to be a clean way to go for those who want to try
Ubuntu.

73,
Don W3FPR