Good news - I replaced the thermal pad between heat spreader and case
with good old Thermalcote heatsink goo, and it made a huge
difference. Case heats up right away and things cool off fast after
TX. Did a lot of checking before lunch, all good. Then I went for a break.

Bad news - U6 failed when I powered up again for final checkout
before taking it off bench and hooking to rig. Zero output. Quick
check showed nothing getting past SGA7489. It just died. Am wondering
if this device was on its way out while I was testing, might explain
power drops. I've ordered replacements from Digi-Key.

Thanks for the input from several of you off list.
73 VE3MSC
Colin