Fred:

Dumb question, but you wouldnt have one or both of the
following conditions:

1 - Fan speed on FN1 for "noise abatement" and not on AUTO,
or:

2 - Something like a monitor base or a radio interface
sitting over the grille on the top of the radio's cabinet,
thus blocking or severely restricting the fresh air intake
to the fans?

The fans on my rig suck air OUT of the cabinet, and intake
air from the top through the grille, over the PA Heatsink
fins and then exhaust it out the back, not the other way
around... the grille at the top of the radio is the air
intake.  Kind of counter intuitive (after all, hot air
rises) but that's the way it is...

I run the fans full blast all the time by setting them at
FN4.  For me, the more air they move, the better.  In my
station environment (boom mic headset 99.999% of the time),
the noise is not a problem.

For transmission noise abatement, there is always TX GATE
:)

-lu-w4lt-
K3 #3192