John,

Maybe you are working on it too late :-) .

If the keying stops when the key is removed, I would suspect the key and
cable rather than the K2.
To see if there is a key jack problem, plug a bare 3.5mm stereo plug
into the jack.

If your plug is only partly inserted, the dash contact in the key jack
can be touching the shell - that will key the K2 with dashes momentarily
until the plug is seated.

As a side-note -- I have found several K2 owners who severely tighten
the dress nut on the key jack (and the BNC jack as well).  That really
is not necessary and can damage the jack.  Just tighten a little bit
beyond finger tight.  The nut holds neither the rear panel nor the jack
in place, it is just there for appearance - just tight enough to keep
the nut from backing itself off is sufficient.

73,
Don W3FPR