Bob,
I would recommend you review the forum discussions on this subject last year
from September thru
November.  This was discussed extensively. The K3 APF has been optimized. To
reduce the sharp high Q audio sound would entail reducing the Q and flattening
out the response.  In essence
reducing its peaking effectiveness.  Yaesu had the best APF to date in their
early FT1000D's.  They modified
the APF to broaden the response and lower the Q to please those that didn't
like the sound of high Q audio peaking.
This rendered the APF almost useless. They later came out with a mod to restore
the APF to its original design.
The Elecraft K3 APF is a derivative of this fantastic circuit and Elecraft is
quite aware of the Yaesu APF history.
Here is a response from Elecraft copied from an earlier discussion on this
subject that was nearing its conclusion.

We will not lower the Q of the existing APF function. We might add
> > more Q selections -- someday. But we're not going to rush into further
> > changes. Our priority right now is to correct some issues (mostly with
> > SSB) and do a new beta release at the end of the week that includes APF.
> >
> > 73,
> > Wayne
> > N6KR

There has been many glowing reports on the APF here in the forum. For me it is
absolutely super to use now.
It has added a new level to my 160 DXing.  I am now able to copy and
ambitiously seek new ones on 160 which
were down in the noise and unreadable before.

73,
Bob
K6UJ