From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Edward R. Cole
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 3:50 PM
To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] ANT2 port w/o Tuner

Ross, etal:

This had been discussed when I first got my K3/10 last spring.  I chose not
to get the tuner since I was also not getting the 100w option and have a
300w ext. tuner.  Subsequently, I bought a 2kW manual tuner for future use
with amps (300w sspa and possibly a HB
8877 later on).

I have 17 antennas at my station so there are certainly more than the
K3 can switch, but I do run separate amps/antennas on HF and 6m and that
entails manually switching cables.  A second antenna port (call it ANT2)
would really be useful for quick switching.  I have a 6-pos coax switch for
selecting my HF antennas.

I kept an e-mail suggestion on how to implement a second ant (can't put my
finger on it right now) with thoughts of building it (and if there was
interest offering it as an aftermarket kit).

But there was some involved circuitry to handle switching so not sure what
it would cost.  If I would guess it would likely be $100-150 so would anyone
chose that over just installing the internal tuner?

I am really overloaded with other projects so this one will not see daylight
for another six months, at least.

73, Ed - KL7UW

Message: 47