Craig,

If you are able, try using a real serial port on a desktop computer if
you are able - no adapter drivers to confuse the issue.  I use a real
serial port and have done many firmware upgrades.  The only time I had a
problem was when I pushed a button during the upgrade process (that was
my error, not a K3 error).

If you are confined to your laptop, make sure you have the correct and
current drivers for your USB to serial adapter.  The older Elecraft KUSB
adapters used the prolific chipset, but the newer ones (ordered in the
last 6 months or so) use the FTDI chipset which seems to be more
stable.  The older USB to serial adapters have had some problems with
Vista and Win7, so if your OS is not WinXP, and you are using the older
KUSB, you may want to purchase an FTDI based adapter.

The K3 firmware has been loaded by many users, so that itself is not the
likely problem.  USB adapters and their drivers are the most common
causes of failure.

73,
Don W3FPR