Thanks for the input, Don.

I deleted the old firmware file in my local folder, and reloaded just
the latest DSP files. Worked perfectly. I really don't think the USB
cable is the issue. Anyway, I'm a happy camper!

Craig W6WL

On 2/5/2011 7:07 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>  Don,
>
> I have trouble blaming the problem on the K3 when the real problem
> lies with the Operating System and properly operating drivers (or lack
> thereof) for the USB to serial adapters.
>
> Use of a desktop computer for the hamshack is quite desirable IMHO -
> mine sits under the desk and the monitor, keyboard and mouse takes up
> less space than a laptop.  If the particular desktop does not come
> with serial ports, there are cards available that will add native
> serial ports to a desktop.  Laptops are quite another story, although
> PCMCIA serial port cards are available and should be more reliable
> than USB to serial adapters.
>
> Desktop computers with serial ports are available at bargain prices in
> the off-lease category (I like the IBM off-lease, many of which have 2
> serial ports).  Most are loaded with WinXPpro and cost less than $150,
> and are more than adequate for a dedicated ham-station computer.
> Sure, you have to spend additional dollars for a monitor, but that is
> small change compared to laptop prices.  The flexibility offered by a
> desktop far exceeds the "convenience" of a laptop for ham use, and is
> much more reliable (a laptop is a "throw-away" device if it stops
> working).
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 2/5/2011 9:49 PM, don Swetzig wrote:
>> I needed to make a real rs232 cable to get mine to work
>>
>> The usb adaptors don't work very well including the ones elecraft sell.
>>
>> It's time to work on robustness on the loader instead on new features.
>>
>> This is a problem that will damage the K3 reputation if it is not
>> addressed.  As there are not many pc's that have the real ports
>> anymore.
>>
>> Don
>>

>> KD8NNU
>>
>> Sent from my Palm Pre on the Now Network from Sprint
>> On Feb 5, 2011 8:28 PM,
>> cr...@thephotoman.com<cr...@thephotoman.com> wrote:

Craig Smith
Craig W Smith Photography

831-423-5800 408-499-0864 (cell) 800-713-0864

www.thephotoman.com (Weddings)

www.craigwsmithphotography.com (Commercial)