QRM levels are generally much lower outside EU or NA.  Years ago, I did a CW
contest from ZL with a TS-50 and a single 500 Hz filter.  That would have been
woefully inadequate in NA, but it was fine there.  So, the question I would ask
is whether anyone in a non-EU or NA QTH has compared the K3 400 Hz filter with
narrower DSP with the 250 Hz filter.  Surely, the 400 Hz fliter +DSP would be
far superior to that old TS-50, so I would expect it to be fine.  Note that the
K3 "250 Hz" filter is really about 370 Hz wide, compared to 435 for the "400
Hz" one, so the difference isn't that great, anyway.

Perhaps Jorge can check this out in the next contest:  Set the "I" filter to
400 Hz, and the "II" filter to 250 Hz, both with the 400 Hz xtal filter. I'd be
interested in the results.

73,

Scott  K9MA

On Feb 8, 2011, at 11:49 AM, Jorge Diez - CX6VM wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I have both KFL3A-400 (400 Hz 8-pole) and KFL3A-1.8K  (1.8 kHz 8-pole)
> filters in my K3.
>

> If I add a KFL3A-250 (250 Hz 8-pole) filter I will notice it better to use
> in contests?  Or with the 400Hz is enough?  Notice I am not in USA or EU
> with strong stations near me, I donĀ“t have the QRM this big populations
> have, trying to reduce the splatters.
>

> 73,
>
> Jorge
>
> CX6VM/CW5W