Ed,

If there are no strong signals on the band or nearby your receive
frequency, then any filter, even the stock 2.7 kHz is sufficient.  The
only purpose of the roofing filter is to keep strong signals out of the
receiver passband so they do not activate the AGC and de-sense the
receiver for the signal you are trying to hear.

73,
Don W3FPR