Ralph,

You're right: even if the filters don't have matched offsets, you can use
diversity mode.

But the main and sub synthesizer frequencies will usually be separated by a
fraction of a Hz if the offsets are different, leading to a rolling sound in
the receivers (phase precessing, a type of beat note). It can be distracting.

This is why most users prefer to use matched filters.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

----