Chuck,

I would not advocate using one side of the 240 volt feed and neutral for
a 120 volt feed.  If the need is to run 240 volts to the shack as well
as 120 volts, pull two lines, and put a breaker on each of them.  Yes,
your "solution" will work with a 3 wire with ground wiring run, but if
split out to two 120 volt sources, the current on the neutral may exceed
expectations for the wire size used.

A 240 volt AC run can be made with 2 conductors and safety ground.  A
120 volt AC run can be made using 2 conductors and safety ground.  If
you want 240 volts, start with a 240 volt run from the service panel, if
you want 120 volt service, start with a 120 volt run from the service
panel.  Do not mix the two (even though it "works").

Your safety is at stake - stick to the NEC requirements and guidelines.

73,
Don W3FPR