Phil, the 20 VAC drop that you describe for a 15 amp draw on a 120 VAC circuit
strongly suggests that something is wrong with the wiring.

I am assuming that with a 15 amp breaker the circuit is wired (per the National
Electrical Code requirements) with 14 gauge copper wire. A voltage drop of 20
VAC, or 16.3%, would be consistent with a wire run of 250 feet.  Even running
along the two legs of a triangle (not the more direct hypotenuse), your wire
run is probably no more than 60 or so feet, unless you own a very large house.
The voltage drop should be 3 or 4 volts at 15 amps, not 20 volts.  Either
there's a connection in the circuit that is creating some resistance, or the
wiring is undersized (unlikely).

If you have an oxidized or otherwise "non-clean" connection (such as a wire
that has been arcing under the connecting screw or a loose connection inside a
wire nut) you have a real fire hazard. I suggest a careful inspection of every
joint in the wire run from the breaker to the outlet. If you don't see anything
obvious that you can correct, call an electrician. House wiring is quite
different (mechanically, not electrically) from the sort of wiring we're
accustomed to dealing with inside a radio chassis. Unless you know for sure
what you're doing, and know the NEC requirements, this is a job  best left to
professionals.

Lew K6LMP