On 2/20/2011 6:50 PM, Rick Tavan N6XI wrote:
> It's in field test, John. I used it during the ARRL DX and it was awesome. I
> wish I had had more time to operate, but in the 6 hours I had available the
> KPA-500 made nary a hiccup. Perfect QSK, instant band changing, instant-on.
> It was as if the K3 suddenly became a 500+ watt xcvr.

As part of that field testing, I had a KPA500 for CQWW RTTY, with
instructions to beat it up by running it flat out for the duration. Same
excellent performance here. The fan came on at a medium low setting
about half the time during those slow periods in the middle of the night
when I was CQing for long periods with no answers, and the amp stayed
cool as a cucumber!

Setup was super simple. Coax plus PTT from the K3, set the K3 for power
by band, set drive levels on each band to get the desired number of
lights lit on the KPA500 output power display, and operate.  Several
times during the weekend I gave it a load that was a bit mismatched, and
the protection circuitry kicked in. I either corrected the mismatch or
dropped the power a dB or so, hit the reset button, and kept on going.
Never lost any time, or even a QSO. This is a lovely, well-behaved amp.

73, Jim K9YC