3 X the sound frequency sounds like sound card over-drive, or simply
exceeding the actual linear range of the sound card.  On-board sound chips
and cheep Chinese sound cards are particularly vulnerable to showing
odd-order effects if you look way down.  Those can sometimes be
significantly improved by managing the range of input sound and line-in
levels.

If you want to see a clean 100 dB range in audio devices, you will have to
get a high-end audio card.  The cheep stuff just doesn't go there.

73, Guy.