Thank you Stan. I've seen photographs of a vertical bug but I've never used
one.

I also have a Vibroplex bug - a standard model that came to me in the 1990's
through an old friend's widow when he became a silent key. My regular bug is
an E.F. Johnson Speed-X. The Speed-X slows easily to 10 to 15 wpm using it's
nifty standard weight that has a finger grip clamp - just squeeze and slide,
let go and it's securely locked in its new position.

I was surprised to find that the Vibroplex would not slow to less than about
25 wpm, even with two weights. My friend had been a commercial CW op both at
sea and at KPH in California so I knew he had to slow it down to under 15
wpm to match the speed wanted by the other operator. Les accomplished that
with a common cable clamp secured to the pendulum. (See it at
http://www.radiomarine.org/gallery/show?keyword=kphhistory&panel=pab1_1#pab1
_1 Scroll down to Les Burger and click on the image to enlarge it). You can
see the threaded shafts of the cable clamp sticking up through the crossbar.
It works great, but it's a very heavy feel.

Talking with a number of OT Vibroplex owners whose bugs slowed down in into
the 15 WPM easily without special weights and comparing keys closely, we
discovered that Vibroplex made two different leaf springs for their key
pendulums back in the 1960's. One was much thicker with a higher vibration
frequency than the other. I've never been able to find out why they did
that.

The sound and feel of a nice bug is, for me, just as basic to Ham radio as
stringing up antennas and melting solder on a new project ;-)

73,

Ron AC7AC