Yes, the Speed-X uses a larger diameter but narrower weight. On the
Vibroplex it offers superior speed control. Unfortunately the pendulum arm
on the Vibroplex is just slightly larger than the Speed-X so, while the
weight will slip on, it's a tight fit and difficult to move, losing the easy
and quick adjustment available on the Speed-X.

There's an image here:

http://morsetelegraphkey.com/rare-e-f-johnson-114-520-speed-x-bug

To change speeds, just put your finger behind the weight and thumb on the
spring and squeeze to let the weight slide freely, then let go and the
spring moves away from the weight so the hole in it grips the pendulum and
hold the weight in place.

Tuning the bands, some are looking for the rare DX or latest DX-pedition,
others are looking for extreme QRQ ops, and some just for a buddy they spend
time regularly. I'm looking for the signal that might have a bit of chirp or
one that's around one of the QRP "watering holes" and most interesting are
those signals with a little personality in their keying indicating they're
on a straight key or bug.

73,

Ron AC7AC