10 min key down out of a total of 15 min is a duty cycle of 0.6667 which
seems pretty good to me.  I don't think I want to pay for a CCS rating
when I'm really very ICAS.  RTTY is my most demanding mode.  I was a bit
concerned about my K3 on RTTY so I wrote a little Perl script to go
through a couple of RTTY logs and estimate the key down time.  In the
RTTY RU, my duty cycle was 0.19 ... yes, my contest rates aren't exactly
stellar. In a RTTY ragchew, and assuming your contact is a wordy as you
are, and you both know what you want to say so there's no diddle time,
it would come to roughly 0.5 ... doesn't seem like a problem to me.

I'm no longer worried about my K3 in RTTY, I'm running it at around 40W,
driving the amplifier to 500W, to be "practiced and ready" for the KPA500.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org