I can make you a very long list of amps and their finals which are destroyed
by key down at full ham power for 10 minutes.  I can make a long list of
transceivers that will not run their rated power CCS.  A K3 will do that by
common experience, but Wayne ain't guaranteeing it.  Typically we don't
really expect ham transceivers to run CCS.  Why would we expect ham amps to
run CCS.

If you need CCS duty cycles at a particular power level, you can buy CCS
military equipment rated for that power. OR, you can buy a ham amp that
specifies a "brick on key" rating (usually a derating).  Alpha's have them,
and some others.

The manufacturer needs to specify if there is a derating to CCS.  A derating
is not always possible (or admitted to) because the lower powers operate
quite less efficiently, particularly in broadband transistor amps without
variable tuning. Then there is this issue of running amps into awful
antennas with marginal matching.  Only the amp designer knows for sure if
there is a CCS figure, and the mfr has to decide to take the risk and
publish the figure.

Many different manufacturers' ham amp models have been destroyed just by
operating in contests at the manufacturer's published power level. You hear
all about smoking amps at meetings of PVRC, YCCC, NCCC and the like.
 Contests are a continuing 40% duty cycle overall, digital contests maybe
50%, 55%.

It appears that the KPA500 is designed for a 67% duty cycle, with a maximum
key down of 10 minutes at full power.  That's pretty darn good for an amp in
a K3 box complete with power supply.  Can wait and see if Wayne wants to
stick his head out there and list a CCS power rating for it.

You want to send 25 minute digital transmissions?  Pay the money and get an
Alpha.  1500 watts out CCS for their newer models.  My old Alpha 76PA will
do 700 watts out "brick on key", 1500 watts ICAS.  The trick in the 76PA, is
that you reduce the plate voltage for that (the old CW setting) and the 700
watts out is still in the sweet spot of the PI network design, so the tubes
are efficient.

73, Guy.