>I'll admit that I turned the radio off in disgust and went to read a
>book after I forgot
>that I'd left QRQ on and inadvertently defeated SPLIT. I called for
>quite a while,
>carefully tuning the subreceiver to the correct frequency, but
>getting no results.

This behavior has bitten me too. A couple of weeks ago I made a fool
of myself on 30 meters by calling several times on the DX station's
transmit frequency before noticing Split wasn't on. Reason? I had QRQ
CW enabled and in the heat of battle I missed the brief warning
message and unfortunately didn't notice the yellow split light right
away. I would submit that the priority is reversed for the QRQ
function. If Split is engaged while QRQ CW is enabled, the radio
should promptly switch to Split and display a "QRQ OFF" message, not
inhibit Split because QRQ is on. Not having QRQ on is a minor
inconvenience; calling on a DX station's transmit frequency is a
major liddism that should be stamped out. The radio should do
everything it can to discourage this behavior, and it would seem to
me that a simple (? -- I know, a SMOP) change in the QRQ logic would
be helpful here.

73...
Randy, W8FN