Henry,

It is likely that your computer is or was infected with some malware
that allows it to be used as a spam relay.

Get a friend (who has an un-infected PC) to download and burn the "AVG
Rescue CD" from avg dot com (it's free). Boot and scan from the CD and
see what it finds.

(I am an AVG customer, but have no other connection with them.)

73 Paul ZL3IN