Rick,

For the majority who only do CW/SSB on HF, adding the EXREF is
probably unnecessary.  The TCXO-3 holds the K3 within 14-Hz on
28-MHz.  The EXREF improves that by an order of magnitude to 1.4 Hz.

This becomes necessary for some digital modes like JT-65.  That is
mainly used on eme on 144 and higher bands.  If you operate on the
microwave bands oscillator error is mulitplied so that is becomes
hard to get much freq. accuracy or stability.  On 1296 I use a
transverter that has an external locked PLL LO.  That keeps it within
1-Hz.  Typically one would not have better than a few KHz with a xtal
oscillator on 105.67 MHz multiplied x12 = 1268 MHz.  Getting the
accuracy on the transverter LO without also having it on 28-MHz IF
radio is kind of being only "Half-done".  With the K3 EXREF my
combined 1296 freq. will equal that of the K3.  That is important
when eme signals are so weak they cannot be detected by ear.  Add
frequency errors to that and the task becomes very tough.

Now consider doing that at 10-GHz.  A few of us with K3's are mw'ers
and/or eme'rs so the accuracy is very important to us.

Sidenote:  Use of 10-MHz WWV is nearly impossible if you run a 10-MHz
station reference oscillator.  I have a mw freq.counter that uses a
rubidium external reference.  I use it to check the frequency of my
10-MHz OCXO which I run thru a 4-way distribution amp to feed things
in the shack:
1) K3EXTREF
2) 144/28 Transverter (DEMI)
3) 1296/28 Transverter (DEMI)
4) future item

The OCXO was bought off e-bay for $39.99+shipping, and is very
stabile but does drift over months so I "tweak" it back to the
Rubidium about 4 times a year.  It runs 24/7 on a battery supply
floated by a charger.

All can be seen on my website (including newly added instructions for
adding sub-Rx IF Out).
73, Ed - KL7UW

Message: 33