Hello Edward,

Just a quick question.  Would the existing K3 + TCXO3-1 + K144V be good enough
for casual SSB operation in 2m?  How would this combination be compared with
modern V/U radio equipped with OCXO such as Icom IC9100 in terms of frequency
stability in 2 m ?

Can I understand that K3EXPEF is only required for GHz operation?

Thanks for your advice in advance.
 cheers,

Johnny VR2XMC

________________________________
寄件人﹕ Edward R. Cole <kl...@acsalaska.net>
收件人﹕ Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
傳送日期﹕ 2011/3/21 (一) 7:51:37 PM
主題: [Elecraft] Installed K3EXREF

Matt,

I agree that the biggest challenge is getting UHF and mw LO's to be
on frequency.  Due to the multiplication of the LO, any inaccuracy or
instability is magnified.  But it is just as important that the IF
radio used with those transverters have good frequency
characteristics as they are translated up to the operating frequency.

Another little annoyance is operating on nets where stations are all
over the place in frequency.  As NC it is tough to keep tuning each
offset out in a quick paced round table style net.  I host a 2m-SSB
net where a couple stations insist on being 100-Hz low (they maintain
their radio dial says they are "on-freq").  With the K3EXREF and a
PLL locked transverter I can be assured that my frequency is correct.

Also, operating any mode that has a high duty cycle of key-down
causes temperature related drift.  K3EXREF will solve that.  The
K3EXREF is both accurate and stabile in freq.

73, Ed - KL7UW

Message: 37