Hi Johnny

The K3 would also have unacceptable IMD or occupied bandwidth standards making
its use on the marine bands unethical.

I used one of my K3's on a sailboat, guess what happened?

I was not transmitting on the marine bands but some other nearby yacht operator
was checking in on a 8mhz cruising race schedule getting yacht positions. I
realized this after I got home. The net was at the time I was operating on
14mhz. I know the operator who runs the net and his yacht was berthed 5 yachts
down from where I was operating from.

 I smelt this awful smell and shut the  K3 down immediately.  When I got home
and investigated the smell  I found that my 8mhz trap  was burnt and toasted.
The trap was overwhelmed by the nearby transmitter on  8mhz. The PCB tracks
were not damaged but were all badly burnt or brown. I rebuilt the trap and used
the K3 without it for a while. I noticed no IF break through.

I may order a new KANT PCB assembly in the future to try and restore my K3 back
to its new condition.

So K3 operators beware of operating near mariners especially at night where 8
mhz might be used for such things as pactor! You may well think your K3 is
possessed by  the devil or has had some sort of parasitic oscillation.

73
John