To: "EricJ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "'pa3gyu'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 10:52 AM
Subject: Re: RE: [Elecraft] Heil handmike discontinued.

For HF I don't use a hand mic anymore. Instead I use the Heil BM-5 headset. Solves a few problems. I don't like to use an external speaker for HF mobile as there is so much road noise and band noise it is difficult to copy weak signals. The headset is definitely the way to go to improve the "local signal to noise" ratio. Also reduces noise for passengers who may not have an interest in listening to the HF noise either. This situation is completely different than a VHF/UHF rig used on FM which doesn't have the same "local s/n" issues. Only problem I still have is that I need a PTT switch or use VOX. I don't like to use VOX because if I have passengers in the vehicle or accidentally use an explative due to some other bad driver nearby I don't want to transmit. For PTT I put a momentary pushbutton in a pill bottle. Would be cool to mount it to the gear shifter directly, but I just hold onto the pill bottle.

Also found headsets a great asset for contesting as well. I doubt I'll ever use hand mics again on HF!

Mark, NK8Q
K2 4786