From: Don Wilhelm <w3...@embarqmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Lightning in New Mexico
To: "Phil Townsend" <phi...@mac.com>
Cc: "Elecraft Reflector"
Date: Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 6:23 AM

  Phil,

Despite disconnecting your antennas, you still have to consider that the
coax shields enter the house.

Yes, ground rod #2 (and #3 and all others) are to be bonded to the AC
Electrical Entry ground rod.

I am not sure why that is counterintuitive to you.  Yes, there is a very
real possibility that a lightning surge will be induced in the house
wiring with or without the connection between the grounds.  But if there
is a lightning surge on either the antennas or the house wiring, you
want to keep both at the same potential.

Keeping everything at the same potential during a lightning surge event
is what the bonding is all about.

A lightning surge traveling through the earth can create a very large
difference in potential between ground rods that are not connected
together, and that potential difference can cause fires and damage.  The
soil has more resistance than a wire between the ground rods.

Look at the 2010 (or 2011) ARRL Handbook chapter on Safety - the fact
that ALL ground rods should be connected together is clearly stated.

One other point on disconnecting your antennas - consider what happens
when you re-connect them.  The PL-259 center conductor is connected
first, and then the shell is attached.  If there is a charge on the coax
center conductor, you can zap your equipment by the simple act of
re-connecting it.  Short the center conductor to the grounded shell
before connecting it to your equipment.  It is better to disconnect the
antennas with a switch in the coax line and provide a DC path to ground
across the common coax connector at that switch.

73,
Don W3FPR