Geoff,

I have both the SDR-IQ and LP-Pan (but not the P3).  Essentially, all
are SDR's and convert the RF signal into two signals which are
90-degrees out of phase with each other, thus the I and Q
designations.  Difference is that the SDR-IQ is a stand-alone
receiver covering 500-Hz to 30-MHz and connects directly to a
computer using USB (so the I-Q signals are data streams).  The LP-Pan
is dedicated SDR set on the IF of the K3 (or other radios, if
desired) and produces I-Q audio signals sent to a soundcard for
conversion to data in your computer.  The P3 is a stand-alone
panadaptor with built-in SDR for processing the IF from the K3.

I bought my LP-Pan for about $150 used.  SDR-IQ runs about $500 and
P3 even more.
You can run a SDR-IQ connected to the K3 IF by tuning it to 8.215 MHz
or run it separately.

But for your money (if you already have a K3) the LP-Pan is best and
will do everything the SDR-IQ does (within the restrictions of the K3).
I bought the LP preamps for my LP-Pan as I wanted maximum sensitivity.

I recently figured out how to slave two LP-Pan to a single xtal LO so
they would be phase-locked and do dual-Rx diversity reception.  Info
on my website under "LINRAD".

I only take exception with one paragraph George makes: "The K3 takes
an RF signal from an antenna, filters and modulates it."  The
received signal is not "modulated".  It is filtered, amplified and
converted to the first IF for use by external SDR's.  The roofing
filters do not come into play or the 2nd IF/SDR of the K3,
itself.  There is no modulation or demodulation by the
K3.  Demodulation is done by the DSP sw in the computer.

LP-Pan is a great little Rx to get acquainted with SDR.

73, Ed - KL7UW

Message: 51