Eric wrote:

>I tried 150 khz at first. The tuning is WAY too fast
>and the added frequencies are of no use to QRP...

I've been using K1 #175 in the USA since November 2000, and I find the
advantages of the 150 kHz span to be overwhelming, but **only** for use in this
ITU region.

IMHO, the 150 kHz span (actually it's about 170 kHz) has a very controllable
and acceptable tuning rate (after FP-R19 was added to the design in 2001 to
linearize the tuning rate at about 17 kHz per turn).  I also use a little felt
padding placed between the VFO knob and the front panel to give a slight amount
of rotational resistance.  No matter which span is used, the VFO potentiometer
shaft needs this extra resistance, IMHO.

>and the added frequencies are of no use to QRP...

No use???

Certainly there is some use in this ITU region, where 7100 to 7150 kHz is
excellent QRP territory and the main justification by far for choosing the wide
span.  Cross-mode (Morse-LSB) contacts in the phone band from 7150 to 7170 MHz
are possible, since the K1 receiver operates in LSB mode (on all bands).  When
15m is hot and one or more of the 6,666,666 different contests is wasting good
RF energy, 21100 to 21170 kHz provides a haven for Morse QSOs.

>I also built for 10.1 mhz as most of the useful QRP activity
>seems to be 10.100-10.120.

With the 170 kHz span and the 10000 kHz band edge crystal installed, time and
propagation info are often available from WWV at 10 MHz in the USA.  A useful
capbility.

HOWEVER, if I lived in another ITU region where Morse operation from 7100 to
7150 kHz was not allowed, and where WWV could not normally be copied, I'd
choose with the 80 kHz span.  That is probably the best setup for your European
K1.

73,
Mike / KK5F