Paul,

I just got back from three days vacation, and found 226 emails on the
reflector!  I finally waded through them and will attempt to answer a
few, including yours.

First, how to connect to the microphone configuration header - if you
are wiring it for the Elecraft configuration, just use computer jumpers,
all pins are connected "straight across"
But, you said you were using an ICOM mic which is wired differently, so
you have two choices, (1) rewire the microphone plug to match the
Elecraft configuration, and tape over the Icom label so you remember it
was changed (I recommend that because the microphone can then be used on
the K3, and any Elecraft microphone can be used with the K2).  (2) Leave
the microphone plug as it is and wire the K2 mic configuration header
for the Icom pinout.  The best way to do that is using wire-wrap (if you
have the tool and wire), and the second best is soldering wires between
the correct pins.  There is no plug for this connector, the header is
designed to be wired directly.  The only downside of soldering is that
one cannot remove the soldered wires and go back to using the
computer-type jumpers.

Solder the bias resistor on the back of the microphone jack rather than
trying to connect it at the configuration header.  A value from 5.6k to
10k will work fine for most electret mics like the Icom and the Elecraft
mics.  one end of the resistor connects to the 5 volt mic jack pin and
the other end connects to the AF pin.

Yes, that bias resistor MAY cause some problems with the soundcard
line-out for SOME soundcards.  It would be wise to put a DC Blocking
capacitor in the AF line of whatever soundcard interface you may use if
there is not one there already.

73,
Don W3FPR