For a homebrew rig, I would recommend looking at the recent QST articles by
W7JI describing his 40 meter receiver and transmitter.  I believe they were
in the Feb and April 2011 issues.

Just finished building the receiver, and it works quite well.  Fairly easy
build with all parts inexpensive and readily available.  I built mine
Manhattan style using a RF proto board.  Easy alignment and fairly good
performance.  As a RX, I'd rate it slightly inferior to a K1, mainly due to
lack of an AGC loop.  But it does have an audio limiter that partially
addresses this.

If you do go that route, make sure to check the ARRL website and feedback
for the latest corrections.   There were a few errors in the original
article.

73   Craig    AC0DS