Wayne, you can put up an outdoor antenna for precious little more money than
that attic antenna. I'd recommend doing that if at all possible. After all,
it's just wire. Even an end-fed random wire is likely to work better than
anything indoors. As for the dreaded "counterpoise", try to make your
antenna at > 1/4 wavelength on the lowest frequency band you'll use (longer
is better) and you won't need much of a "counterpoise". Perhaps a 1/4
wavelength long wire on the lowest frequency band running along the
baseboards or outside along the side of the house.

BACK IN THE ATTIC

I've used attic antennas in many places. In my case I was an apartment
dweller for a few years so I made a point of renting the top floor apartment
(usually second story) and figuring out how to get into the attic space
above. (There usually is an access through a closet ceiling somewhere).

I always put up a doublet - a center fed wire of whatever length I could
squeeze in. I ran it along the highest place - under the ridge board just
under the shingles. That put it as far as possible from wiring, ducts, etc.
It can zig-zag somewhat, but I strived to keep the two halves pretty
symmetrical. Frequently I ran the length of the ridge board (which in an
apartment was usually about 30 feet or so between the security/firewalls
that to go the roof between each apartment) then run down at the ends to the
eaves - one end went one way the other end went the other for maximum
separation. (That's an easy outside antenna too.)

I insulated the ends where there will always be a high impedance. A bit of
plastic bottle with holes punched in it works FB. But doing that helps avoid
more unbalance and losses. (Insulators made from scrap bottle or clothes
hangar plastic will work FB outdoors too.)

For "feedline" I used two small-gauge white wires (apartment walls are
invariably white). Plastic-bottle-bit spacers handle the run in the attic to
a point directly over my operating desk. A fine pointed tool (e.g. ice pick)
made two small holes in the ceiling right against the wall above the
operating desk. The white wires come down the wall - held with a couple of
staples - right to my ATU.

The feeder was virtually invisible. One visitor at the desk kept asking
where the feed line was. It ran up the wall 2 feet in front of his face.

A balun isn't strictly necessary. Just connect one side to the rig case and
the other side to the center conductor. Yes, it will be somewhat unbalanced.
The only downside of that is that the feeder will radiate, but it's not a
very long feeder.

If you notice some "hand effects" (touching the radio changes SWR, etc.) try
a balun. Elecraft has some great baluns that do well in that use. The issue
with baluns is that they can become lossy at extreme impedances, and you
can't really predict it too well in that environment. But many hams use them
with excellent results. I had a homebrew balanced tuner on my system.

ROOF

You mentioned asphalt shingle roof. Excellent. I had great success radiating
through those. In one apartment I couldn't get out worth a darn. One day I
noticed a piece of tile from the roof. The building had concrete tiles. Put
it in my microwave (with the obligatory glass of water) for a couple of
minutes and that tile got smokin' hot. Concrete is a better conductor than
the earth - or perhaps better said that it's a better lossy dielectric than
the earth. In either case it did a bonza job absorbing my RF.

QRO?

I ran up to about 15 watts output in my apartment environments. Worked a lot
of stations and a far share of DX - enough to keep it interesting - all CW.
Even 15 watts got into our telephone but I was able to squelch it. I chose
not to run more power so I'd not have to worry about neighbors sound
systems, etc.

Ron AC7AC