I played with a fan dipole back in the 1960's, and played and played and
played trying to get a decent (less than 3:1) match to 50 ohm coax. Never
was happy.

That experiment taught me the efficiency, ease and simplicity of a doublet*
fed with open wire line. Working out the process of getting the open wire
line into the shack wasn't nearly as difficult as trying to get the antenna
to present a decent match to the coax, and it was a wonderfully efficient
and effective all band antenna mounted at an "inverted V" with the apex at
50 feet.

BTW, my doublet was 100 feet end-to-end and worked beautifully on 160
through 10 meters. Granted, at so close to the ground the radiation was
mostly straight up on 160 but on that band I was mostly interested in
working locals out to 100 miles or so. We had a lot of mobiles active on 160
back then as well as fixed stations. And none of the rude nonsense so often
found on 75.

Ron AC7AC

*Wire fed at the center but not necessarily a "dipole" - i.e. 1/2 wavelength
long - on any band.