After 40 years in South Florida (lightning capital of the US) in a 24/7
business with multiple towers from 50' to 1,000' , my attack for protection
from lightning was to have a massive ground system with extremely low
impedance as well as extremely low resistance in the ground system. A ground
wire that has a bend in it has impedance! A 10' rod is not a ground for
lighting. A ring with many rods works much better. Use a "star" system to
interconnect the equipment; although I believe the cell industry has had
very good success with "Ring-Halo" ground systems. Once that is done then
consider a  Dissipation Array. I believe that they reduced our exposure to
damage considerably.

Signal cables should be appropriately protected if they span the ground
system. Almost all signal wire do span the ground system in one way or
other. At ham power levels that would include the RF as well as control &
audio.

When you see multiple strikes hit a tower and do not have to fix anything -
it is a good feeling to know that it all got to the earth without stopping
in any of the equipment.

My 2 cents

George
AI4VZ