I designed the processing parameters of the Omnia ONE AM broadcast
processor, and have spent almost a half century adjusting broadcast
audio.  My suggestion is to apply a "sensible" amount of compression
and limiting to increase the perceived loudness level to the maximum
amount the equipment is capable of and STOP THERE!  Adding more just
muddies up the sound.  We should aim for a balance between ultimate
"loudness", as well as sensible EQ to enhance intelligibility, and
depth of processing.

Specifically, for speech processing on the ham bands, you MUST start
with a good microphone.  I have found that using about 7 - 10 db
compression with a 3:1 compression curve, followed by 3 - 6 db of hard
limiting, maximizes the perceived loudness, without reducing
intelligibility.  In broadcast, 1 or 2 db of clipping will add a little
bit more "punch", but cranking the clipping up more than that passes
the point of usefulness quickly.

Additionally, the transmitter should faithfully reproduce the audio
sent to it.  Any additional distortion or EQ applied AFTER processing
usually results in a significant deterioration of the desired audio.
We hear a LOT of that on the air these days.

To my ear, a well controlled but not overblown audio signal is both the
easiest to listen to for long QSO's, but also has the punch to get
through in crowded and/or weas signal conditions.

73
Ted W8IXY