I certainly agree that stock speculators have no interest in the long
term outcome of a company. Being private does help large established
companies avoid the whipsaw of investors who can do real damage when
stock prices vary.

An example of this is SAS Institute, the largest privately held
software company in the world with two decades of double digit growth
until 2010, including the two prior recessions, when the worst
recession since the great depression held them back to only 8% growth.
 Their strategy in downturns is to pour on the research when competing
companies are laying off and go cherry-pick talented people out of
work.  3+ billion a year and over 20,000 employees worldwide is the
result. SAS and it's owner have been on a cash basis for years, and
having cash to spend in a downturn has proven very useful, allowing
them to expand when acquisitions are cheap. They keep employees, with
a ridiculously low turnover rate far below the industry norm, due to
the owner's attitude that the employees are his main asset.  They've
taken the careful conservative path to a 3+ billion per year company.

What SAS and Elecraft have in common is private ownership, running on
a cash basis, staying within one's means, significant technological
innovation, purposeful interaction through their technical support
methods with a loyal customer base who know they have real input into
what comes next, and real dedication to the purposes that uncovers.

I'd say Elecraft is keeping damn good company.

73, Guy