There are a number of reasons why going public profoundly changes companies,
often for the worse, but I would rank the influence of "outside
stockholders" as fairly low among them. In fact, in the case of many
privately-held startups, it's pressure from a handful of outside
stockholders that keeps management on its toes.

I think the most common problem for any growing company, public or private,
is size. Once you get to about 100 employees, the management structure has
to change in a big way. When that happens, the entrepreneurial spirit,
everybody-knows-everybody camaraderie, focus on quality, focus on the
customer, and can-do attitude tend to give way to approval hierarchies,
competition for position within the hierarchy, focus on compensation versus
job satisfaction, focus on numbers instead of quality, petty personal
agendas, and so forth. Maintaining the positive aspects of the previous
culture and hiring people who fit in with it become much more problematic.
One reason this is a characteristic of public companies is that a company
has to be relatively large to go public these days.

This is not to say that there aren't other negative aspects to being a
public company. First among them is the market's relentless focus on
short-term results. Management is expected to generate ever-increasing
returns and never miss their quarterly projections. This results in
sacrificing long-term goals to please the market, and sometimes "financial
engineering" or even cooking-the-books to make the numbers. This attitude
filters down the org chart and infects the employees such that many of them
are focused on the wrong things.

I'll admit this is a somewhat exaggerated description, and some public
companies have managed to figure out how to avoid these pitfalls to some
extent. Some do it through brilliant management, some by hiring only the
best and brightest, some by insisting that the long-term is more important
than the short term. But even in those companies, something precious that
smaller entrepreneurial enterprises have is lost.

Having been through a complete startup-to-exit cycle with my own software
company back in the '90s, and having spent 15 years coaching, managing and
investing in other teams doing the same, I have to say that I much prefer
the small company environment. The real trick is figuring out how grow while
preserving the good things that made you successful. From my observations of
the way Wayne and Eric conduct themselves and run Elecraft, I have great
hopes that they will be among the few who figure it out.

73, Dick WC1M