Hi Brian, et al:

Perhaps the experience of someone who has actually taken a P3 on
a DX operation might be of some interest.

I returned early February from a month and a half trip to Southern
Africa.  While not a dxpedition per se, the trip did include a single-
handed, but serious, operation from a moderately rare DXCC entity
(7P8, the Kingdom of Lesotho).  I would like to comment on two
issues that have arisen in this thread: is the P3 a useful aid to the
operator running the DX station?; and how difficult is it to take it
along, space-wise?  In essence, is it worth it?

This trip balanced visiting family (parent's 60th wedding anniversary),
business (research), vacation (a 4x4 safari through Botswana and
Zimbabwe), and ham radio (as ZS1WN, and 7P8JW).  The stay in
7P8 (the landlocked mountain kingdom of Lesotho) lasted a week and
I was able to make more than 3,500 contacts from 7P8 alone.

Travel parameters were such that I only took along what would fit
within the normal international baggage allowance.  After necessary
stuff like clothes (for warm and cold; including a suit, jackets & ties),
and a computer--I was able to take TWO complete high performance
HF stations (K3/P3; K2-100/KAT100) in CARRY-ON luggage (thank
you, Elecraft!).  My first checked piece was a padded golf bag, which
contained: a 5 band Spiderbeam yagi (14 wire elements on a 33'
boom); 33' aluminum telescoping mast; and a 40' fiberglass mast
for an inverted L for the low bands; together with all the required
guying ropes, stakes, etc.  The rest of my personal belongings (and
some other radio stuff!) went in a second allowed checked bag.

My carry-on aluminum-sided case (el cheapo from Home Depot) was
originally used for trips with the K2/100 + KAT100, and had space
left over for the power supply (Astron SS30), headset, cables etc.
However, I found that the K3 and P3 were an exact fit for the case.
So, I downsized the PS (to a very small/light Powerwerx 30 amp
switcher), put it in the golf bag, and took the K3/P3 in the case.
Since I did not want to use the K3 mobile or on safari, I managed
to slip the K2/KAT100 and a second PS (Gamma Research HPS-1a,
even smaller and lighter), and some of the other stuff into the
computer bag along with the Macbook Pro!

[Yes, you have to take the ham radio side of things, at least, semi-
seriously to be willing to do this!  But, no, I had no trouble at all
with security at any airport (trip included 8 flights), and paid no
excess baggage allowance at all.  Yes, I was fortunate that South
African Airways allowed an additional 20 pounds for the golf bag,
i.e. 70 instead of the normal 50 per bag, but I checked this out
ahead of time.  The K3/P3 case was right on the carry-on weight
limit, and the computer bag was over weight, but nobody checked
it.  If they did, my backup plan was my dear wife (who was putting
up with me lugging all this stuff around rather well!, and had room
to spare in her carry-on bag), but as it turned out this was not
necessary.]

Am I glad that I took all this stuff?  Absolutely.  I used the K2/100
and KAT100 to very good effect while operating mobile/portable.  I
was able to consistently work LONG PATH (some 14,500 miles, over
the Indian Ocean, Australia, and the Pacific) into the western USA
on 40m SSB, from the coast near Cape Town.  This is running 100w
off the rental car's battery, with a magentic mounted Hustler mobile
antenna!  [Secret: getting within a quarter wave length of the salt
water, and a clear shot over the ocean.]

I used the K3/P3 combo while operating from 7P8.  I could have
used the K2 but I believe the K3 helped me make significantly more
contacts.  I have the second RX, ATU, DVR [and 2m transverter]
in my K3 (which has 6 roofing filters between the 2 receivers).

I found the P3 to be useful in the following ways:

1. To instantly get a sense if a band is open by quickly switching to
it and getting a look at activity over a 200 khz span.  You have to
try this to realize how much better it is than spinning the dial.
Having the waterfall display on, increased this benefit significantly.

2. Finding the right place to start calling.  It is amazing how much
more helpful seeing the spectrum as a whole is to simply listening
up and down.  You have no idea how much you miss when you do
not have the time dimension included.

3. "Watching" what is happening on my transmit frequency, so that
I can devote my full attention to getting the callsigns pulled out of
the pileup, without the distraction of "listening" to my TX freq. as
well.

4. Helping to "discipline" the pileup by first seeing/noticing, and
then ignoring, bad behavior.  [Of course, sometimes you must
work the offenders to make them go away].  It is interesting how
you can tell who is calling without hearing you; tail-ending; loading
up right on the pileup and then calling you.

5. Helps find stations calling you in the pileup window (particularly
on CW when the pileup thins down a bit).  I narrowed the P3 span
down to the listening span.

6. When the pileup is very large, it enables you to quickly tune
to the stronger stations first (the ones you are most likely to be
able to copy).

Finally, it is essential to understand that what I am describing
goes well beyond the capabilities of the build-in "spectrum scopes"
in other radios.

Could I have done without the P3?  Of course.  For that matter
I could have done without the K3 or K2, or the beam, or . . .
where would it end?  [I once took a K1 on a trip to Norway.  Did
I have fun?  Yes.  Did I work pileups?  No.]

The trip was wonderful, and everything worked perfectly . . .
except my computer.  The hard-drive crashed upon arrival in SA.
Fortunately, I had backed up everything (but it was 6000 miles
away at home).  The computer was useless.  THANK YOU
Elecraft for NOT making my radio dependent on the computer to
operate!  Yes, I logged all 3,500 contacts the old fashioned way--
by hand!  I am now struggling with the QSLing side of things.

Would I do it all over again?  In a heartbeat--including taking the
P3 along.

73

John, N6JW