Paul,
This is normal. You need two wires for your antenna. If you have the antenna tuner option, you can use the Elecraft suggestion of the following: hook a 16, 24, or 33ft wire to the ground side for 20/30/40, and a 24-28ft wire to the center conductor. The Pomona BNC to binding post adapter makes this convenient....there is a part number in the manual. Then tie a hex nut to the hot wire and throw it in a tree and put the other wire on the ground. (You may get away with shorter wires for ground, but these are convenient sizes for putting in the air as well...putting both wires in a tree works, too.)

Almost any wire will do, but Teflon-coated silver plated wire is often available from surplus places, and is excellent. Or try thewireman.com for other nice wire.
73,
Leigh/WA5ZNU.