From: "Al Lorona" <alor...@sbcglobal.net>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:19 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Plasma TV Noise any ideas on how to filter it out.

My next-door neighbor was probably one of the early adopters of plasma TV
several years ago.

One night at bedtime I switched on the AM radio and was met by severe buzz
all
over the dial. Not a single station was listenable. I could hear the buzz
all
the way up to 10 meters. It only took me a few minutes to determine that it
was
coming from my neighbor's house.

I informed him the next day. Lucky for me, he is the type of guy who can't
stand
the idea that a brand-new device of his is causing pollution-- he saw it as
defect. And, of course, his own AM radios were affected, too. He had a
Panasonic
tech out there in a couple of days. I don't know what the tech did, but he
managed to reduce the noise by about 10 dB though he never eliminated it
entirely. I've had to live with it ever since.

Since then I have said that the two things that have the most potential to
kill
HF ham radio are homeowners' associations and plasma TVs.

Pray that your neighbors don't buy one of these evil devices.

Al W6LX