I have been reading this reflector since long before the K3, and I've come to
the
conclusion that the problem isn't the manual. It is the need for a more basic
understanding of the technical concepts involved in amateur radio. Many new
hams (and old
ones) simply don't understand the basics, so no wonder they aren't sure how to
set up the K3!

The present Elecraft manual is a good reference (with perhaps a few additions
for new
features). I wouldn't advise changing it in concept. Maybe what's needed is an
additional
book, a much longer, discursive volume: "Amateur radio and the Elecraft K3".

It would have chapters on subjects like AGC, SSB, digital modes, etc. The
chapter on AGC
would begin with an explanation of the function of AGC, the different
parameters that
define it and what are the effects of changing them. Then it would describe how
to adjust
them on the K3.

The SSB chapter would explain the basics of an SSB signal, and how it's
generated and
amplified. It would explain what compression and equalization are, and how they
affect the
way the signal sounds and how effective it is for communication. Finally it
would tell the
reader how to set up the K3 for SSB.

I think such a book would require a few hundred pages. A person could read the
chapters
that are relevant to a particular task independently, or he could read the
whole book and
skim over the K3-specific details.

You wouldn't need to have a K3 to benefit from this. The treatment would have
to be as
down-to-earth, practical and non-mathematical as possible.

I don't know if Elecraft should publish this book or someone else. It is
possible to
publish a book with little or no upfront cost and have it available
electronically or even
on paper on demand (see
<http://www.amazon.com/Publishing-Money-home-page/b?ie=UTF8&node=15347561>
for example).

Elecraft wouldn't be expected to subsidize it, but of course they would need to
invest
some time in making sure the K3-related stuff was correct.

It could be a joint effort, with various people writing chapters about subjects
that they
are interested in. There would need to be a primary writer/coordinator to pull
it all
together.

I am not volunteering for this since I still have a full-time job. But I would
write a
chapter or two.

--
Vic, K2VCO