Alan,

no problem at all and no dream anymore, the www.remoterig.com solution has
everything you mention already built-in, from VoIP to an own CW keyer also
taking care of the internet delays. Works like a charme (am using it with a
IC-706 with the control head being 700 km away from the rest of the radio
and everything else) and no problems even with 80 ms latency (read round
trip time). Full control over the radio, exactly the same functionality as
if the control head was directly connected to the radio. Have made almost
1.500 QSOs with that solution during the last 2 years (not that active due
to QRL reasons).

Besides "modes" in their controllers for remoting the IC-706's or TS-480's
heads over the internet they also have profiles for using it with serial
connections for radio control, i.e. CAT. So a "self-made radio head" is no
problem either, have tried that "half-way" myself already with a small PIC
display I built for my FT-817. So just create a front panel, send all button
presses as CAT commands to the remoted radio, connect the microphone, key
and speaker directly to the remoterig controller and et voila, ready's your
remote station with an Elecraft remote head. :-))

You can do that with a CAT software on the PC, too, i.e. Ham Radio Deluxe.
But then you'll loose the "feeling of spinning the dial" that's why I opted
for the remote head solution with the IC-706 although the radio is really
not the best (and no comparison to my K3, of course ;-)).

I think this would be a real seller! Kenwood recently started producing and
selling remote heads for their TS-480's seperately besides "complete"
transceivers as people are starting to share their remote solutions so you
need 3 or 4 heads for 3 or 4 guys to access the same radio (not at once, of
course). ;-))

73, Olli - DH8BQA
Elecraft K3 #4546