not John  Fogarty of CCR??
or just a similar name!!

al ve3gam

----- Original Message -----
From: "Forums" <dzxyyk8...@sbcglobal.net>
To: "Elecraft Reflector" <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 5:07 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] KX3 netbook

A while back Wayne suggested using a netbook with the KX3 to log and run SDR
software.
Someone else –I don’t remember who - warned that most net books don’t have
stereo mic
inputs.  I looked for a light cheap laptop with stereo inputs.  I checked a
couple of
dozen from Asus, hp, Lenovo, and Toshiba.  No netbook that I can find has
stereo inputs.
All, of course have stereo outputs.

In fact, I can’t find any current production laptop that has stereo inputs
except the
Apple MacBook series and it doesn’t run windows natively, though there are a
couple of
hypervisor solutions.  There are hundreds of models and I didn’t check every
one but did
check 25 or 30. I did call Dell and hp and ask them. There may be some and if
there are I
would love to know a brand and model.

My next thought was so called USB sound cards.  On the high end (price of a
netbook and
size of a KX3) there are lots of choices.  There seem to be a number of Altoids
tin sized
USB “sound cards” some have stereo mic and / or line inputs and some don’t.
Almost all
the external devices emphasize the output functions and are skimpy on the input
specs.

I guess this is a long winded way of asking if during development and field
test some
thought could be given to a light weight package in the spirt of the KX3 itself
that is
tested and known to work.  I would see this as KX3, netbook, and "a small USB
sound card."
Alternatively, if there is a reasonably priced light laptop with the requisite
capabilities that would be fine too.

73 John N6MNX

John Fogarty
john.foga...@sbcglobal.net