I'm afraid my eyes and hands are beyond working on surface mount stuff. Years
ago I predicted that the Ten Tec Omni VI might be the last rig that was fully
user-repairable, meaning that because of its use of through-hole parts it could
still be worked on by the common man. Shortly after I made that remark the K2
was introduced. So now perhaps only the K2 and perhaps one other kit currently
out there (the DZkit Sienna) are the last of the user-repairable through-hole
rigs. Hang on to those two, if you have them. I suppose the only thing working
against the K2 and Sienna are the lifetimes of some of the ICs and transistors
in them as semiconductor parts are constantly being obsoleted. (Irony: You can
still easily find a 6L6 or 12AX7 but MRF 458's are extinct!)

At that time I also wondered (after seeing the prices of original unopened
Heathkits on eBay) whether it wouldn't be a great retirement investment
to stockpile a few unopened and unbuilt Elecraft kits in the attic.

Al  W6LX