Dave I think you raise some very good points. The need for an Amateur
Wireless User Interface (AWUI) is a great one. Note I did not say blue tooth
for good reason.

Bluetooth is full duplex where clearly a half-duplex solution is needed.
Before you say you could use VOX think about the portable environment where
you can't control the noise around you. Spectrum pollution brought to by the
auto horn, the baby crying, and audible aids for the blind.

If you want to see how not to do amateur Bluetooth (ABluetooth) look no
further than Yaesu. Both stereo and monaural interfaces are offered for the
FTM-350. Since it has two separate receivers a stereo interface makes a lot
of sense. However their BH-1A (stereo) interface only works in stereo when
listening to the commercial FM broadcast band! For the ham bands you need to
use the BH-2A monaural interface. Thank you Elecraft for figuring out a
stereo headset can be of great value in the ham bands. Furthermore when the
cost of the BU-1 (Bluetooth) option and the headset is combined you have a
gold plated option that doesn't even do what you want it to do. Oh, one more
thing. Look at the Yaesu headset model numbers. The stereo is a  dash 1 and
the monaural a dash 2. I hope that was mentioned on that marketing guy's
performance review.

So how do you go about creating a better wireless interface? Sure it's sexy
to leverage chipsets off the high volume applications like cell phone
Bluetooth. I always like it when I can use a chip someone else has paid to
develop. Maybe we should be looking at Zigbee chipset rather than Bluetooth.
The wider bandwidth could be used to provide full remote control of the rig.
At a minimum then provide the functions available on many of the DTMF
microphones... Up/Down frequency, etc. Make the interface two parts so you
can put the PTT interface on a belt clip. You could have a plug-in for a leg
mounted key too. Don't make it as good as. Make it better. How cool to say
you are using an Ah woo ie (AWUI).

de Fred, AE6QL