Eric,

I believe I was one of the first responders to the initial question.
I did say that the K2 was a mature product, but by no means does that
make it obsolete or near the end of its life.

Elecraft will continue to offer the K2 as a kit, and will continue to
provide support for it - for who knows how long? -- until the labor
effort to kit it exceeds the profitability is my best guess for that answer.

Most of the parts in the K2 will either be continued to be available, or
suitable substitutes will be available.
For instance, the IF amplifier, the MC1350 used to be available in a DIP
package, but now is difficult to find in that format, but is available
in SMD format.  Elecraft's solution was to put the SMD part on a carrier
board that could be mounted in the original DIP holes.  If the same fate
occurs with other ICs such as the SA612 Gilbert Cell mixer/product
detector, I am certain that the same carrier board (but with an SA612,
etc. rather than the MC1350) can be used.  A similar argument could be
made for most any other active component in the K2.  Through-hole
resistors and capacitors are likely to be available for many years to
come, if for no other reason than to satisfy the DIY builders.  Even if
those parts do dry up, it is not very difficult to devise a scheme to
use SMD parts in their place.  So, IMHO, parts availability will
determine the life of the K2 (and K1 and KX1) - those designs do not use
exotic parts, so availability of parts in one form or another should
continue for a long time.

OK, I do not have a "crystal ball" to tell me the ins and outs of parts
availability, but what I can say is that the parts used in the K2 are
common enough that replacements should be available for a long time,
even if those replacements are in SMD format.

Any K2 will work for years if it is not abused.  My now (almost) 12 year
old Field Test K2 is still up and running, and I expect it to do so for
another 10, 20, or 30 years.  If something fails, it can be fixed by one
means or another, and I expect its performance will not degrade during
that period.

However, my hopes for additional mods or upgrades to the K2 are nil - at
least those coming from Elecraft (that is what a mature product usually
means).  Any enhancements to my K2 will be mods of my own doing, and
those will be done on a "one-off" basis (for my own use).  I may offer
those mods to the general K2 public, but they will not be "Elecraft
sanctioned".

73,
Don W3FPR