Unfortunately you chose the wrong day to test out your new rig. HF
conditions are diabolical at the moment, with a low solar flux and K
index of 3-4 due to geomagnetic storming. Very little here on any band
other than 40m at the moment, and not much activity there either.
Probably your rig is not faulty...

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com