I agree, Al:

Interestingly, some younger Hams I know who want CW proficiency often insist
on learning to use a straight key and many even move on to a bug before
touching a paddle, but I'd not demand they do so.

I stuck with a straight key until I got my Extra Class Ham license and my
2nd Class RadioTelegraph license because, back then (1950's) an applicant
was required to send on a straight key at 20 wpm for at least one full
minute to the satisfaction of the FCC examiner. (Those applying for a First
Class RadioTelegraph license  - after completing 6 months at sea -- could
apply to use a bug instead of a straight key, but the FCC examiners said
that almost all of them failed on the first few tries; one extra dit was a
failure).

I've continued to use and enjoy a straight key for QRS operations ever
since, but I use my old 1950's vintage bug 99% of the time. I got that bug
immediately after passing my FCC exams, Hi! I built an Iambic keyer in the
1970's and became proficient with "squeeze keying" but set it aside. I enjoy
the challenge of using a bug well.

When I learned to fly, my instructor insisted that I learn to land a
"tail-dragger" first -- an airplane with main gear and a tail wheel. They
are much more sensitive to being handled exactly right in a landing than the
more common tricycle gear aircraft with a nose wheel. Only after I could
execute spot landings flawlessly in a tail dragger in cross winds and rough
air did he check me out in a tricycle gear plane. He always said that anyone
who can drive a car can land a tricycle light plane and he was very nearly
right. It took me about two landings to be comfortable in one. And I was
always grateful. I enjoyed many, many hours flying vintage "tail dragger"
airplanes I'd not have been able to touch without that skill.

I guess that, for many, knowing how to use a straight key or a bug is much
the same. It's all in what interests a person.

Ron AC7AC