That was it. The previous owner had put in the wrong cap in the cw
bandwidth mod (.047uf instead of .01uf) and that made all the difference.
Key waveform now good, and power control is stable.

Thanks for the great support effort. It makes all the difference, knowing
that there is no problem so arcane and buried that it can't be fixed,
unlike the newer rigs. I certainly learned a bit more about the K2, which
was the point of all this.

Al NH7O