I used paddles just like I use a bug; with my arm lying on the table and
rolling my wrist and hand from side to side. Sort of hard to do that
"reaching over the top", Hi! But I learned both a bug and paddles right
handed in spite of being a southpaw so it was never an issue.

Of course, back when bugs were very common it was considered very bad
manners to use someone else's bug. We took our own with us, both commercial
and Ham operators. Everyone had a straight key, and most bugs were equipped
with a little paddle on the end of its cord that had two flat copper
contacts separated by an insulator. You slipped that between the frame and
the hot strip going to the contact on the straight key and you were ready to
send.

Ron AC7AC